Happy Mother's Day to all of the WOMEN out there! Here are a few of my favorite messages about mothers.
Sister Sheri Dew: As daughters of our Heavenly Father, and as daughters of Eve, we are all mothers and we have always been mothers. And we each have the responsibility to love and help lead the rising generation. How will our young women learn to live as women of God unless they see what women of God look like, meaning what we wear, watch, and read; how we fill our time and our minds; how we face temptation and uncertainty; where we find true joy; and why modesty and femininity are hallmarks of righteous women? How will our young men learn to value women of God if we don't show them the virtue of our virtues?
Sister Julie Beck: Oh, that every girl and woman would have a testimony of her potential for eternal motherhood as she keeps her earthly covenants. “Each is a beloved … daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine … destiny.” As spirit daughters of God, women “received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth” on the earth. They were among the “noble and great ones” who “shouted for joy” at the creation of the earth because they would be given a physical body with the opportunity to be proven in a mortal sphere..
Female roles did not begin on earth, and they do not end here. A woman who treasures motherhood on earth will treasure motherhood in the world to come, and “where [her] treasure is, there will [her] heart be also." By developing a mother heart, each girl and woman prepares for her divine, eternal mission of motherhood...
In my experience I have seen that some of the truest mother hearts beat in the breasts of women who will not rear their own children in this life, but they know that “all things must come to pass in their time” and that they “are laying the foundation of a great work." As they keep their covenants, they are investing in a grand, prestigious future because they know that “they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever."
I was recently at a park where I met a group of women with mother hearts. They were young, covenant-keeping women. They were bright and had obtained advanced degrees from respected universities. Now they were devoting their considerable gifts to planning dinner that evening and sharing housekeeping ideas. They were teaching two-year-olds to be kind to one another. They were soothing babies, kissing bruised knees, and wiping tears. I asked one of those mothers how it came about that she could transfer her talents so cheerfully into the role of motherhood. She replied, “I know who I am, and I know what I am supposed to do. The rest just follows.” That young mother will build faith and character in the next generation one family prayer at a time, one scripture study session, one book read aloud, one song, one family meal after another. She is involved in a great work. She knows that “children are an heritage of the Lord” and “happy is the [woman] that hath [a] quiver full of them.” She knows that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily mothering is far more lasting, far more powerful, far more influential than any earthly position or institution invented by man...
On this wonderful day to celebrate motherhood and women, I am so grateful for all of the women in my life who have been "mothers" to me. I have come to realize in recent years that being a woman and being a mother are synonymous. I have been blessed with so many women in my life with beautiful "mother hearts" who have helped guide me and shape me into the woman I hope to become. I was just thinking that Garrett is actually being "mothered" by dozens and dozens of different amazing women, because I would like to think I have taken the best qualities of my favorite women with "mother hearts" and tried to make them a part of me.
I'm so grateful for my own mother--she is a wonderful woman who has taught me by her example the value of dedication and hard work. She is spunky and funny, a great shopping partner, classy, and a fun grandma. As an elementary school teacher for almost 30 years, she has mothered countless children. She has a gift for seeing the good in all children and I would often turn to her for advice when I was struggling with difficult students. I would want to think the kid was probably just plain rotten, but she always had a way of turning the situation around and helping me to understand where the student was coming from and that all kids are worthy of love and second chances.
What a blessing it has been for me to have such a wonderful mother-in-law. She is the ultimate example of sacrificing for her children and everything she does is with the intention of making her children's lives better. She is so patient, understanding, and willing to forgive. She LOVES being a grandma and always gets the sweetest smile when she sees her grandchildren.
Speaking of grandmas, I was blessed with the BEST grandmas ever--no arguments! :) My Grandma Vone was the ultimate homemaker--amazing cook, talented seamstress, perfect housekeeper, and always so beautiful and composed. I want to be just like her when I grow up. My Grandma Ila--now there's a character--I have to laugh just thinking about her. Quite possibly the spunkiest lady I've ever met with a great sense of humor and a lover of fun. Underneath it all, she had a tender heart and was always thinking of others and how she could cheer them up.
I've been blessed with the BEST sister in the world. She has such a kind heart and has always been such a great example to me. She has been my "mommy mentor" and has helped guide me through this past year with Garrett. I've called and texted her multiple times in the middle of the night with questions and concerns--I don't what I'd do without her. Definitely my very best friend! I've also been blessed with four sisters-in-law (Sher, Chelsea, Mal, and Cathy) who are all so cute and fun and some of my dearest friends. I've learned so much from each of them and we always have a blast when we are together.
Everybody needs a second mom, and how lucky was I to get my Aunt Paula! Talk about a woman with a "mother heart." She is the type of person who is always finding lost sheep to bring home and nurture, and what a blessing it has been for me to be one of them! She baby-sat me when I was little and now is such a great help to us with Garrett. We are so lucky to have her! I'm also very grateful for my cousins. It is such a blessing for us to be so close and such great friends. They love Garrett and always seem to be there at just the right times when we need help. Thanks for all the babysitting!!!
I also have to give a shout-out today to my Aunt Claudia--her and Kevin have been so good to Greg and I the past two years and have been so great with Garrett. We will never, ever be able to repay them for all of the kindnesses they have shown us.
Personally, I am so grateful to be a woman and love my role as a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, niece, and friend. Happy Mother's Day to all!!!
Working Principle Of Solar Inverter
2 years ago





3 comments:
As usual an AMAZING post! I wish I could have your gift of writing your feelings down! And I am by far the lucky one to have you as my sisto! I don't know what I would do without you! Love ya!
A wonderful post. I concure with everything you said. We have wonderful women in our lives.
I love to watch you and Emily and the great mothers you are to your children. Thanks for sharing Garrett with us. He is such a cute little guy. We are the luckiest family EVER to have each other!
Post a Comment