Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bloggin' from Nauvoo!

We are in Nauvoo! We all left Milwaukee at the exact same time this morning and were supposed to be caravanning, but somehow Mike, Greg, Garrett, and I managed to arrive in Nauvoo an hour and a half before everybody else. Not quite sure how that happened...

It’s been a great day in Nauvoo—here’s some evidence.

The Nauvoo Temple is absolutely gorgeous. My family traveled out to Nauvoo for the temple open house a few years ago, but the town was absolutely crazy and swarming with people during that time so we didn't get to do much sightseeing. The city was very peaceful today--we are missing the big tourist season by about a week--lucky for us!






At about 5:39, Cathy mentioned something about the famous fudge in Nauvoo. In a sense of panic, we realized the fudge shop would most likely be closed tomorrow and our window of fudge shopping opportunity had either passed or was slipping away (we figured the place either closed at 5 or 6). Thankfully, a quick phone call confirmed the blessed fudge factory was indeed open for another 12 minutes, so we literally ran down the hall, to the car, and slipped into the fudge factory just as they were beginning to clean up--sorry to the fudge shop girls who didn't get off work early--but this was a major crisis and well worth the great lengths we had to make to get there!



Willy, Jan, Eric, Mal, Matt, and I attended the cutest little musical show the senior couples put on. (Everybody else was napping or taking care of kids). It was absolutely darling and I loved it! My parents are hoping to serve a mission in a few years when they retire and my mom has dreamed of serving in Nauvoo, so I took this little video so they can see what they'll bet getting themselves into. (I can totally see them doing this--especially Sparky!)
Funny story--I saw the info about this show online a few weeks ago and called and reserved us 10 tickets and Greg picked them up today. I thought I had told everybody about it, but Eric and Willy came back to the hotel today and Eric threw down a bunch of tickets to the show and informed us he had made a major score and gotten us tickets to a show that night. We about died laughing when we realized it was the same show! We got to the show and I felt like Santa Claus when I got to hand over our extra tickets to a darling family who was just waiting outside the Cultural Hall in hopes there would be room for them. I have never seen anybody so thrilled for tickets to a free show put on by oldies. :)
After the show, we drove around and scoped out the sights we want to see tomorrow with the whole clan--and of course, we had to take a billion pictures! The show had put us all in funny moods, so it was kind of a crazy time. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time!

We ended up on the banks of the Mississippi River and started goofing around. Somehow we managed to get this photo of Eric doing his best "Twilight" impersonation. Pretty sure he'll kill me when he discovers this on the WWW.
What a stud!
Another Glamourshot! Such a babe!



We got home and our nanny entertained Garrett while we were getting our stuff all situated for the night. Somehow Garrett ended up in a sink full of ice and loved every minute of it.

The "kids" decided to do some late night hot-tubbing and we couldn't put Garrett to bed until everybody got back, so Garrett went to visit with Grandma while I was chatting on the phone. When I got there, Garrett was splashing in the hot tub and loving it!I LOVE this picture! (Could live without the DC can...)

It was such a fun day and I can't wait for tomorrow! We're going to check out the sights here in town and then visit the Carthage Jail. Adios amigos--I'm going to bed!

4 comments:

Paula said...

It looks like you have had another great day. Keep the pictures coming, we are loving them. Be safe! We missed you at Brooklyn's Dance Show tonight. She was so adorable. Love you!

Charmaine said...

I loved hearing about it all. I really wish I was going to be with you all when you go to Carthage. I'll bet the spirit is so strong there. I'll think of you all there.

Rachel said...

I love EVERYTHING about Nauvoo. What a great place. Sounds like a very fun trip!

Emily M said...

Oh man- I can so see mom and dad doing that skit- haha! Hopefully dad wouldn't pull a hammy with that kick they have to do! Nauvoo looks beautiful! It was good to chat with you last night!