Monday, March 7, 2011

Our Family is Growing...

Garrett and Abby are the proud owners of 7 new baby chicks.


We were supposed to have 8, but one didn't survive the trip home from IFA. Sad. The other birds seem to be doing well and have thus far survived Garrett's constant need to hold and pet them.

Abbs is a also a fan and squeals/giggles/stomps her feet/twirls in a circle every time she sees them. I'm not much of a pet person or animal lover, but it has been fun to watch the kids' excitement.
Greg got Garrett these lovely birds for an early birthday present on Saturday while Abby and I were doing girly things...like attending a baby shower for Greg's cute cousin, Shannon.

Funny Shannon story: Greg and I had been dating for a few months and were going out one evening. Greg pulled into a service station to fuel up and ran inside to pay. While he was in the store, I pulled the visor down so I could check myself out in the mirror and a picture fell out. I picked it up and saw a picture of a beautiful blonde girl with a little nametag that read, "Sister Ogden." I still remember the way my heart dropped as I muttered, "He has a missionary." I was bummed. I liked him (a lot) at that point, but wasn't totally in love with him (yet), so I figured we might as well get it over with and end our relationship before it went any further and somebody got hurt. He got in the car and I held up the picture and asked, "Who's this?" He looked at it and answered, "Oh, that's my cousin, Shannon. She's on a mission in Maryland, but she'll be home in a few months. I think you'll really like her."

And that was that. I didn't have to "break up" with Greg, she did get home a few months later, and I do really like her. A win-win-win. And now she's married and having a baby girl. A double win.

To make a great day PERFECT, we visited Brian and Cathy and I finally got to hold my beautiful new niece. Abby wasn't very interested in Lydia, but she did have a blast playing with Annabelle. They were naughty (but awfully cute) and spent some quality time jumping on Annabelle's big girl princess bed.

And here she is...Miss Lydia Jan Phillips. She's so precious and I'm very glad our sniffles and coughs are gone so we could finally meet her!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Our kids just got chickens, too! I am excited to have our own fresh eggs!

Kami Anderson said...

I love how often you are posting these days. Could you please keep it up just for me? I love how Greg who was raised in the city is a total country guy. The chicks are awfully cute and I can't get over how big Abby is getting. She is such a cutie!!

Becky Green said...

I was hoping you were prego again when I saw the title of this, but some baby chicks and little Lydia will have to do. :) Annabelle and Abby are so cute playing together. They're going to be BFFs I just know it.

Natalie said...

How fun to have chicks! I'm sure the kids just love them!