CONFESSION CORNER: I've been feeling a bit guilty lately about all of the time Garrett spends watching TV and movies. I've also been noticing lots of projects that need to be finished at our house that I've been meaning to do since we moved in.
THE PERFECT SOLUTION: While Abby was napping this afternoon, I took Garrett down to the basement with me and told him we were going to "work." He found his hammer and pounded on boards while I painted our barstools. Life is good: I'm getting a much-needed project done and Garrett isn't watching TV.
My mom gave us some hand-me-down, hand-me-down barstools when we moved in. (As in somebody used them and gave them to her and she used them and gave them to us. Did you follow that?) I've been meaning to paint them black for a long time and decided today was the day!!! I was almost done painting and had them lined up and drying while I was touching up a few spots. I looked up just in time to see my little "helper" take a scoopful of sawdust and dump it on one of the so-freshly-painted-that-the-paint-is-still-wet stools. AAAHHHH!!!
I was mad. Really mad. I tried to remind myself of a few things:
- The stools are just a "thing." Garrett is a "person." People are always more important than things.
- The stools were given to me. I gave birth to Garrett. (Hence, he should mean more to me than the stools.)
- The stools were free. We paid a lot of money to get Garrett here and continue to pay a lot of money to take care of him. (Clothes, shoes, food, diapers, Disney movies--they all really add up. However, if you read my previous post you will see that we only have to buy diapers for Garrett until March, so that is good.)

- Another can or two of paint so I can re-paint the stool after I have sanded the sawdust off.
- A new Disney movie to keep Garrett occupied while I do this.
Maybe watching TV isn't such a bad thing after all...





6 comments:
Oh gussy!!! The little stinker!
He is such a handful. I don't know how you do all you do. I think you are an amazing mother and wife.
such a cute post. I know exactly how you feel. I think it's good for both mothers and kids to have their "own" time. your stools are cute. I need to paint mine too.
Oh no....I know....TV is a necessary evil sometimes....You are amazing for keeping things in perspective and keeping your cool!
peeing my pants... I love the give up at the end. Just get him another movie... you gave the parenting thing the old college try, and no one can tell you otherwise.
You are hilarious! The other day I was apologizing to Jordan for getting my chair dirty (I had overreacted) and I was trying to get the point across to him so I asked, "What's more important to mommy, you or the chair?" His reply? "The chair." Oops. Sorry about the barstools, but at least you can kind of laugh about it.
Post a Comment